You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Outer Banks Author Activities
- Do you believe in Ghosts? OBXPG Author Scott Fields does!
- I always have three of four ideas for books I want to write, says OBXPG author Scott Fields
- Why Outer Banks Publishing Group is Green
- Who by Fire wins Notable Indie Award by Shelf Unbound Magazine
- Could GIFs be the next big wave in book reviews and even book promos
Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
Follow Our Tweets on Twitter
See our Twitpics
- Bookshelf: Judges Are People, Too August 22, 2014
- Leonard Fein, Provocative Writer on Jewish Affairs, Dies at 80 August 21, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘We Are Not Ourselves,’ an Intense Family Story August 21, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘Fives and Twenty-Fives’ by Michael Pitre Shows Wartime Iraq August 20, 2014
- Bookshelf: Oh, Brother August 20, 2014
- ‘Kreutzer Sonata Variations’ Has a Scorned Wife’s Rebuttal August 19, 2014
- Books of The Times: In ‘Doctored,’ Sandeep Jauhar Examines a Broken System August 19, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Ginsburg and Alito to Speak at New-York Historical Society August 19, 2014
- Malala Yousafzai: By the Book August 19, 2014
- ArtsBeat: The Richard III Diet: Wild Birds, Frequent Feasts and Plenty of Wine August 19, 2014
Scenes from the Outer Banks