You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Outer Banks Author Activities
Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
Follow Our Tweets on Twitter
See our Twitpics
- It’s been a great ride, and thanks for all the fish December 10, 2013
- Barnes & Noble 3Q results don’t paint a rosy picture for the retailer February 21, 2012
- Which Tablet eReader is Best for You and Your Audience? November 19, 2011
- Books of The Times: ‘Poilu,’ a French Memoir About Serving on the Western Front April 20, 2014
- Exclusive: Elizabeth Gilbert’s New Chapter Begins April 20, 2014
- Taking On Adam Smith (and Karl Marx) April 19, 2014
- Untitled April 19, 2014
- Bookshelf: 5 Episodes in a Pivotal Year in New York April 19, 2014
- Critic’s Notebook: ‘All God’s Dangers,’ a Forgotten Autobiography April 18, 2014
- Thomas Piketty Tours U.S. for His New Book April 18, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Fame-Hating Lewis Carroll Letter Lands in Los Angeles April 18, 2014
- Lois Wallace, a Respected Agent of Prominent Authors, Dies at 73 April 18, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: ‘Asia’s Cauldron’ April 18, 2014
Scenes from the Outer Banks