You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Outer Banks Author Activities
Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
Follow Our Tweets on Twitter
See our Twitpics
- ArtsBeat: Capitalized Clues to a Glitch October 1, 2014
- Crime: John Harvey's 'Darkness, Darkness' and More September 30, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘On Immunity: An Inoculation,’ Essays by Eula Biss September 30, 2014
- Bookends: ‘The Giving Tree’: Tender Story of Unconditional Love or Disturbing Tale of Selfishness? September 30, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Kirkus Announces Finalists for Book Prizes September 30, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘Fire Shut Up in My Bones,’ a Memoir by Charles M. Blow September 29, 2014
- Literary Lions Unite in Protest Over Amazon’s E-Book Tactics September 29, 2014
- Turning a Book Tour Into a Literary Circus (and a Hot Ticket) September 28, 2014
- Television Review: ‘The 50 Year Argument,’ an HBO Documentary September 28, 2014
- Books of The Times: In ‘Lila,’ Marilynne Robinson Gives a Prequel to ‘Gilead’ September 28, 2014
Scenes from the Outer Banks