You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
- Books of The Times: ‘The World of Raymond Chandler,’ Edited by Barry Day December 21, 2014
- Books Of Style: 9 Books That Would Make Great Gifts December 19, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: Disappearing Religions December 19, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Koons Again Accused of Copyright Infringement December 19, 2014
- Raphaël Jerusalmy’s ‘Brotherhood of Book Hunters’ December 19, 2014
- ‘America’s Pastor,’ About Billy Graham, by Grant Wacker December 19, 2014
- ‘A Philosophy of Walking,’ by Frédéric Gros December 19, 2014
- Open Book: Religious Reading December 19, 2014
- ‘Joan of Arc,’ by Kathryn Harrison December 19, 2014
- ‘The Great Reformer,’ a Biography of Pope Francis December 19, 2014
Scenes from the Outer Banks