You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
Follow Our Tweets on Twitter
See our Twitpics
- Barnes & Noble 3Q results don’t paint a rosy picture for the retailer February 21, 2012
- Which Tablet eReader is Best for You and Your Audience? November 19, 2011
- Time to go with the Kindle Fire? October 9, 2011
- ArtsBeat: Cannes Film Festival: James Franco on Adapting Novels and Multitasking May 21, 2013
- Books of The Times: ‘And the Mountains Echoed,’ by Khaled Hosseini May 20, 2013
- Rape by American Soldiers in World War II France May 20, 2013
- Books: In Essays, Nurses Highlight Job’s Tedious Duties and Profound Implications May 20, 2013
- A Staging for Vonnegut’s ‘Make Up Your Mind’ May 19, 2013
- Books of The Times: ‘Americanah,’ by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie May 19, 2013
- Exposés of China’s Elite a Big Lure in Hong Kong May 19, 2013
- Bookshelf: Books on New York History and Sweet-Tooth Outlets May 18, 2013
- Noted: Making a Word Meme May 17, 2013
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: Unusual Immigrants in New York May 17, 2013
Scenes from the Outer Banks