Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
- ArtsBeat: Cuba: A Reading List December 18, 2014
- Dick Cavett: By the Book December 18, 2014
- The Unbreakable Laura Hillenbrand December 18, 2014
- Michiko Kakutani, Janet Maslin and Dwight Garner’s Favorite Books of 2014 December 18, 2014
- Your Home on a Coffee Table December 17, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘The David Foster Wallace Reader,’ a Compilation December 17, 2014
- Children’s Books: Dave Eggers Illustrates Stories by Elementary Schoolers December 17, 2014
- Gil Marks, Historian of Jewish Food and Culture, Dies at 62 December 17, 2014
- Norman Bridwell, Creator of ‘Clifford the Big Red Dog’ Books, Dies at 86 December 17, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘El Sistema: Orchestrating Venezuela’s Youth,’ by Geoffrey Baker December 16, 2014
Scenes from the Outer Banks