You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Outer Banks Author Activities
Topics for Writers and Authors
If you have a completed manuscript, we would like to hear from you. We are currently looking for titles to publish.
Go to our Query Page (see the tab on the top) and review our submission requirements before submitting your manuscript. We like to receive the first three chapters by email.
What We Look For in a BookWhether you have written nonfiction or fiction, all books in essence are about a story. In light of more than 400,000 titles published last year and the number increasing daily with the explosion of ebooks and self-publishing, your book has to be exceptional to get noticed and to ultimately be purchased. Here are some basic elements that should be in every book:
- Known as the lead or hook in newspapers, the first sentence or paragraph should effectively communicate something that will entice, interest or emotionally attach the reader to your book so he or she will want to read the rest of the book.
- Every word, sentence, paragraph and section or chapter should relate in some way to the theme or story in a significant way. Background information on a character, a situation or concept should not be there just to fill pages. It should all relate in some way like the Ying and Yang - each complement each other, each are relevant to each other as parts that create the whole.
- This may sound obvious, but your book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In essence, all questions, concerns or conflicts should be resolved by the end of the book. The reader should not be left with any questions whether your book is nonfiction or fiction unless intentional.
- Outer Banks Publishing Group on Facebook
Follow Our Tweets on Twitter
See our Twitpics
- Shakespeare Folio Discovered in France November 26, 2014
- Leslie Feinberg, Writer and Transgender Activist, Dies at 65 November 26, 2014
- Books of The Times: ‘Selected Letters,’ Norman Mailer’s Correspondence November 25, 2014
- Colombia to Receive Some García Márquez Effects November 25, 2014
- Untitled November 25, 2014
- Ali Smith Talks About Her New Book, ‘How to Be Both’ November 25, 2014
- Bookends: What Makes the Russian Literature of the 19th Century So Distinctive? November 25, 2014
- ArtsBeat: Neal Cassady’s Famous Lost Letter to Jack Kerouac to Be Auctioned November 24, 2014
- Books of The Times: Michael Connelly’s ‘The Burning Room’ Revisits Harry Bosch November 24, 2014
- ArtsBeat: A 19th-Century-Style ‘Christmas Carol’ on the Upper East Side November 24, 2014
Scenes from the Outer Banks